On Demand Metal
How do I provision bare metal servers for enterprise application stacks?
One of the key benefits of Flex Metal is that our Data Center as a Service Central Control panel can also manage bare metal servers. Bare metal servers can be provisioned with Central as just an OSed server on a network or as a more full stack. Popular approaches meld calling your API via a script then provisioning the full deployment using Ansible.
What servers do you have available?
The Metal On Demand Pool is a set of servers on warm standby for you to add to your deployment via API or from within Central.
Our Reserve Pool allows you to custom configure servers based on our part stock which includes parts above plus different CPUs, GPUs, and SSD/HDD/NVMe sizes. These servers will be assembled on your order and placed in your Flex Metal Deployment generally within 2 business days. Completely custom servers are available, contact your account lead for more details.
What limits do I have in spinning up and spinning down servers?
Very little, but yes, there are some limits. Of note, Reserve Pools do not have any scale limitations but require advanced reservation with lead times and longer term commitments.
Private Cloud Hosting
Flex Metal Cloud provides an open source cloud for system administrators to
cost effectively supply cloud resources to their company or their customers.
How Does Flex Metal Cloud Work?
Flex Metal (Private) Cloud uses OpenStack, an enterprise-grade open-source cloud computing platform, to let users provision full private clouds with all the on-demand scaling and flexibility of public clouds. Plus, you can still have your bare metal servers in your cloud as well for your workloads that do not require virtualization or that need further isolation.
How Do I Start?
All Flex Metal Clouds start with a minimum of 3 HyperConverged servers. These three servers provide the overall management (Control Plane) and supply Compute and Storage. Start with 3 and scale to hundreds on demand.
Private Cloud Core - Starter Clusters
Many variables affect the recommended number of VMs and usable storage listed below. These numbers will vary based on your use cases. Additionally, we recommend running Hosted Private Clouds at around 80% of total capacity, and have used that in our own calculations. Running closer to max is possible, but can lead to undesired behavior.
Sample Private Cloud Core (PCC) 2020 Rates
|Resources||Recommended # of VMs and Storage
|Flex Metal Cluster Price
(Daily/30 Day Discounted)
3 Server Cluster
1.15TB SATA SSD
3 Server Cluster
3.84TB NVMe SSD
|3 HC Standard +
3 Compute +
3 Storage Blended
13.1TB NVMe SSD
|3 HC Standard +
6 Compute +
4 Storage Blended
16.1TB NVMe SSD
Reserve Free FLEX Cloud Credits
for your Proof of Concept (POC) Cloud
At launch we are offering the opportunity to build and test out your Proof of Concept (POC) on Flex Metal Cloud using Free FLEX Cloud Credits.
Who is this right for? Are you a sysadmin, developer advocate, business or university...
- Looking for alternative and quick solutions to spin up secure clouds with full governance
- With a complex implementation that you would like to migrate to a Hosted Private Cloud
- That is invested in OpenStack and open source development
- With ever burgeoning public cloud bills
- Needing to bolster your research clouds with a robust private cloud that you can burst into
Then Flex Metal Cloud is right for you.
Apply now to reserve your free FLEX Cloud Credits! Our Cloud Solutions Team may reach out to you to clarify your needs before confirming the reservation.
Flex Metal Central Portal Options
- Manage access to your cloud resources and create self-service access for staff or departments.
- Configure default virtual machine images and flavors.
- Add or remove servers from your deployment.
- View performance, usage, and overall health of your deployments, including configuration alert triggers to popular incidence management systems.
- Access our Support Team via tickets or configure joint communication systems via a shared Slack channel with your deployment team.
- Access our Ansible Tutorials for managing servers.
Flex Metal Scale Options
- Scale Up Compute - Add additional compute by selecting a matching server from our pool, and adding to your Hosted Private Cloud network. Decide how to use that new server from command line automation or the Horizon interface.
- Scale Down Compute - Remove compute by instructing OpenStack to depopulate that control node. Then use Flex Metal or our APIs to remove from your Hosted Private Cloud network.
- Scale Up Storage - Add additional Storage by selecting a matching server from our pool and adding to your Hosted Private Cloud network. Then instruct Ceph to extend its cluster to include the new server.
- Scale Down Storage - Remove storage by instructing Ceph to rebalance all data away from the server in question, then return that server.
Cut Cloud Costs in Half
Total Cost of Ownership that Beats Public Cloud Providers
Flex Metal helps IT leaders navigate complex infrastructure decisions by making cloud more cost effective.
Source: “The Emerging Three-Tier Pricing Model For Private Cloud”
451 Research Cost Summary:
Private clouds owned and self-managed by enterprises can be cheaper than public cloud. The magic number to beat is about $25 per VM-month at 100% utilization. If the cost of the whole stack comes in under this number, then even with the addition of labor to manage that private cloud, it should be cheaper than public cloud.
Flex Metal is a Clear Winner
Mid-Size deployments can reduce costs down to $10 per VM-month.
Obviously, with better labor efficiency, unit costs versus public cloud are lowered further, and the relative value of benefits increases.
Enterprises unable to achieve a labor efficiency of 300 VMs per engineer are unlikely to beat public cloud on price.
Flex Metal is a Clear Winner
Scale up to 800 VMs per engineer with large Flex Metal deployments.
Early Adopter Program
- Do you have a complex implementation that you would like to migrate to a Hosted Private Cloud?
- Are you a company or business that is invested in OpenStack and open source development?
- Are you a university looking to bolster your research clouds with a robust private cloud that you can burst into?
Speak with our Cloud Solutions Team to see if you qualify for our Early Adopter Program. Benefits of the program include getting credits and discounts as well as assistance in planning out a Proof of Concept (POC).
Infrastructure and Data Center Operation Options
Our Hosted Private Clouds can also be deployed in your data center. On-demand scaling is supported with restrictions based on logistics and distance from our hardware depots. Minimum footprints apply.
Keep your capital expenses down and protect yourself from scale issues. Work with our team to size your cloud. We’ll even run your cloud if you wish.
and want to offer cloud to customers.
Explore new ways to fill your data center. Sell public cloud offerings like VMs and Storage, or complete racks as private clouds. Open new revenue streams fast and with low capital out.